Measuring for a custom kilt by Kilt This
If you are trying to buy a kilt as a gift or surprise and can't take proper measurements, we suggest buying a Gift Card.
Our kilts are made to fit like a pair of cargo shorts, but they can be worn traditionally at the navel also.
- DO NOT SEND US PANT SIZE MEASUREMENTS
- DO NOT SEND US MEASUREMENTS FOR OTHER KILT COMPANIES
Waist - They will adjust approximately 5-7 inches from the waist measurement you provide. You want to measure with a measuring tape around where you normally have pants hang along your hip, or across your stomach at the navel, which ever you prefer.
Be sure to measure against your skin and not over clothing. If you measure over clothing it will make the measurements inaccurate and the kilt will be loose.
With the proper measurements you will only have to adjust the straps when you first wear your kilt, with minimal adjustments after that if you gain or lose weight. The great thing about this design is that you can adjust your kilt and it will never look uneven. The kilt will always be centered, level and well-fit.
Hip - Measuring around the hip area will help keep the kilt from being too snug around your hips, rear, and the jewels.
Length - This measurement is usually taken by kneeling. You want to measure from your side, not down the front of your leg. Measure from where you took your waist measurement down to the floor. This makes the kilt length about mid knee.
THE MOST COMMON MISTAKE WHEN SENDING MEASUREMENTS
- sending measurements of kilts you already own - not all kilt companies use inches like custom companies do and using other kilt company measurements will almost guarantee your kilt will NOT FIT.
- guessing your measurements based on your pants size - pant sizes are made by manufacturing companies for their machines - these are not actual inches which we require for a proper fit.
- measuring from the front of your belly to the floor - this will make your kilt too short by several inches.
- measuring the waist measurement through the belt loops of pants - this will make your kilt too big.